Winter is soon approaching, which means it’s time to get ready for some home-cooked meals! When you find yourself snowed in this season, we’re here to prepare you with a recipe to warm you up on those cold days. Below is an authentic Mexican soup recipe you can make on a snow day when you can’t get to Monarquia. But when you can make it out on the road, remember to visit us, one of your favorite Amherst restaurants!
for the nights when you can’t make it out to your favorite Amherst restaurants, try this delicious recipe!
Chicken Pozole Verde
You are welcome to make adjustments to fit your preferences!
- One pound of husked and halved tomatillos
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts
- Three 15 oz cans of drained hominy
- Three quartered jalapeño peppers
- One large sweet onion
- 7 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- Two seeded and quartered poblano chiles
- 6 smashed garlic cloves
- ½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- One tablespoon of coriander
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced radishes
- Tortilla chips or strips
- Sour cream
- Shredded cabbage
- Thinly sliced red onion
- In a dutch oven or large pot, add all chicken stock, coriander, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add the two pounds of chicken to the pot and bring to a simmer on low heat. This should take approximately 25 minutes for the chicken to be fully cooked.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the pot and shred it with a fork. Skim the top of the pot and put the shredded chicken back in the stock.
- For this step, you’ll need a blender. Add one cup of water, chopped onions, jalapeños, tomatillos, garlic, and poblanos, and blend.
- Grab a skillet and heat the olive oil over medium heat. Next, add the tomatillo puree and cook until it turns dark green. This should take approximately 10 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally!
- Once cooked, you’ll want to add one cup of the cooked broth into the empty blender and set aside.
- Pour the cooked Verde sauce into the pot with the broth and 2 cups of hominy and simmer over medium heat.
- In the blender with the chicken stock, add the chopped cilantro and the last cup of hominy and blend until everything is smooth. (This will make the soup thicker) Once done, add it to the pot to complete the soup.
- Adjust the soup according to taste, adding salt, pepper, or other spices as needed. Serve, garnish, and enjoy!
Visit One of Your Favorite Amherst Restaurants, Monarquia!
At Monarquia, we love creating and serving authentic Mexican dishes for you to enjoy. That’s why we’re excited to share some recipes with you to share with your loved ones this season! If you want to dine with us, you can check out our hours here! Until then, we can’t wait for you to visit!